Alice’s Birth Story: Part 1

When I was pregnant (and both before and after), I was obsessed with reading birth stories. There’s something so magical, and sometimes a little scary, about them. Before I become too far removed from Alice’s birthday, I want to tell her story as well. I’m kind of wordy, so I’m breaking it up into two parts đŸ™‚

A little backstory first. My blood pressure was a bit high at the beginning of my pregnancy, so my doctor had me take a baby aspirin every day until 36 weeks. However, somewhere around 34 weeks, my doctors started to get nervous about my BP creeping up again. In fact, I had to make many trips to L&D in order to be monitored and spent a couple of nights in the hospital attached to IVs. They even gave me two steroids shots to develop Alice’s lungs in case she were to come early (spoiler alert–she did!).

Finally, the doctors decided to put me on modified bed rest. I could walk around a bit, but most of the time I was supposed to be relaxing on the couch or in bed, and I definitely was not supposed to drive. This meant that I would be working from home until September…or so I thought!

On Monday, August 28th, at 37 weeks and 1 day, I scanned documents, phoned into a meeting and then prepared myself to go to my doctor’s appointment. My mom came to pick me up, and we headed over to my doctor’s office. My blood pressure was high again, but my doctor said they would take it again at the end of the appointment. I was dilated 3 cm, but this really didn’t mean much, since I knew I was getting a c-section because of my breech babe. At the end of the appointment, the numbers were still high, so I was sent across the street for monitoring.

I changed into the gown, gave my samples of blood and urine, got stuck 4 different times for an IV (grrrrrr), and got hooked up to a BP monitor. During this time, my mom and I were trying to find someone to pick up her dog, who was at the vet for tests, and we were contemplating if we were still going to get Indian food for dinner. After a couple of hours, a nurse practitioner came in and did an ultrasound to check the amount of fluid surrounding the baby and she said some words that seemed strange: “Most of your tests came back fine.”


She said that I would be discharged shortly, but the doctor would be coming in to see me first. My mom and I were concerned. Yes, my blood pressure was reading better, but I was still having contractions (although this had been going on for weeks), and I was sure that I would be back in the next few days with high blood pressure again. Plus, what was the deal with the word “most”? I had decided that I was going to ask if my c-section could be done on Wednesday of that week, since I knew the doctor on call that day very well and was getting more concerned about my BP. I texted C and told him that I would be discharged soon.

The doctor walked in (the only one from the practice that I hadn’t met yet) and introduced herself. She said that my blood pressure was looking better and that my fluid levels were good and that most of my tests came back fine. There was that word again… She explained that my liver enzyme levels had become elevated. In most cases, the level wouldn’t be considered that high, but compared to my last blood draw two weeks prior, they had jumped up quite a bit, and she was concerned. This is when I suggested moving my c-section to Wednesday, and she replied, “I was thinking that you should have this baby tonight.”

Stay tuned for Part 2!